10.02.2009

My silly one...




I enjoy reading the comments people leave here on my blog. I read each and every one of them and then enjoy checking out the blogs of the people who posts comments...



This morning I was reading through comments from my October 1st post (Welcome October) and came upon the following comment...thought I'd share it with you.



Matthew comments:



Thank you so much Brenda for this freebie! I will have to get my needle and thread out and start it right after I get home from watching Iowa State beat Kansas State!



Now first of all, a comment coming from the male gender doesn't happen too often on my needlework, cross stitching & sewing blog...so the male name sort of stood out! Red flag number 1.



Second of all, the commentators name is Matthew...have I mentioned my #2 child's name is Matthew? Red flag number 2, or just a coincidence?




Third of all, our #2 child is currently in a RV crossing the state of Kansas on his way to the mentioned football game in the comment. Just a coincidence, or red flag number 3!




Hmmm.....




Smells sort of like a stinky fish, don't ya think???




I giggled a bit, finished posting the comments, and then was on my merry way to work. But not before I visited my #2 child's Facebook page. I told him if he needed help threading his needle to just let me know and that I had no idea he enjoyed doing cross stitch in his free time...



Later in the morning the phone rings at Country Stitches...I answer and there is a male sounding voice on the other end. A male that needs to order some DMC floss....



Hmmmmm........
Another stinky fish, perhaps????



Often times it is just fun to play along with this silly one of mine and act like I have no idea who I am talking to...



And then it gets to him, usually when I ask for his address, he can't stand it any longer and bursts into his familiar giggle...love it when he does that! I miss that giggle...darn it, why'd he have to grow up & move halfway across the country???



The blog comment and phone order today don't come as no surprise to me, coming from this silly child of mine. He has been doing this for years...calling mom's answering machine at Country Stitches, after hours, to order some patterns. He consistently ordered pattern number 109...and lots of them! On occasion he would talk a buddy into doing the same...the buddy ordered 50 patterns and then put the order on his credit card. With all seriousness in his voice, he proceeds to give his credit card #0000 0000 0000 0000...at that point I hear that familiar giggle in the background...BUSTED!!!! So reassuring to us parents, knowing this is how your college student is spending his evenings...


Then there is my poor employee Bev, the sweet gal that takes your phone in orders. Bev is well aware of my sons tendencies to do this silly stuff. The phone rings, she answers, a man looking for supplies to make tie dyed shirts....she blurts out "Hi, Matthew" and the gentleman on the other end of the phone says, "no this isn't Matthew, this is so & so and I am interested in supplies for making tie dye shirts (he is dead serious...no silly giggle here), do you carry supplies for this?" Needless to say, we spent the remainder of our day rolling off of our chairs laughing at this poor gentleman...hopefully he found someone that would sell him tie dye supplies!!



The above photo, yes, you're probably wondering what the photo at the top of the post has to do with anything about this post...My son is one of the cheerleaders in this picture , it is SO him...and it is payback time! Can you guess which cheerleader is my son? Hint, he is not one of the two cheerleaders in red plaid skirts...no they are teachers in our school system...scary, huh?



The above photo was taken in 2000 and I am happy to say all of the fine boys pictured have grown up, gone on to be successful in their jobs & some are even married with little ones. As for the two in the red skirts...they are still teachers in our school system...



Yes, this silly child of mine is now 26 years old...perhaps too old to be called a child? He may be all big and grown up now, but he will always be my silly one with the silly giggle. I hope he knows he can call his mother any day at work to order patterns or DMC floss...miss that silly giggle!



Have a good weekend,


Brenda































11 comments:

Jackie said...

Hello Brenda,
First, Thank you for your freebie pattern. I downloaded last night. I hope to try to sueeze this one in for fall, as I have a serious lineup going already. I wanted to leave a comment, but between my computer ran feverishly slow and daunting sleepy, I thought that I would wait unitl today to return to make my comment. Glad I did, because I found your story. LOL

Thank you for the story and laughter. Loved it. Keep the laughter in your son, he'll go far. When I was younger, between my friends and I, our phone pranks were Tony's Fish Market. Oh boy did we have fun with that one.
Needless to say, I was voted Class Clown in my senior class.
So let him have fun. It builds character.
Kind regards,
Jackie

Myra said...

What a sweet story! I have twin boys in college so I could really relate. Have a great weekend!

Diva Kreszl said...

What a sweet and heartwarming story...you are blessed to have such a dear son! He will always be your little boy!!!

Jeannine 520 said...

That's a cute story. My brother does something like that with my mom. When she calls he answers the phone like a pizza parlor or chinese restaurant and insists on taking her order and when he calls her he usually tries to order deliveries of soda. I have no idea why, he's 36 and otherwise normal.

Anonymous said...

I have two adult sons who still like to make me laugh at their antics...this entry to your blog made me smile, and miss my sons all at once! :)

BECKY said...

What a cute story! Sound like a fun young man you raised there!! We have 4 girls, 1 SIL and a couple of young men we have "adopted" as our sons! I love that he loves to mess with you and just make your day!

Have a joyful weekend!
HUGS,
Becky

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Your son with the great sense of humor has to be the one with the pom poms in the air in the picture !!! LOL.. You have a great son !!! Loved the stories...

Simone said...

Love to read your funny story! Makes me smiling all over :))) I hope my 8 year old grows up with such a sense of humor...
BTW I started yesterday's freebee this evening. I'm stitching it on a 40 ct brown linen with GAST threads and it already starts to look fantastic! Thanks for the freebee.
Hugs from the Netherlands,
Simone

Unknown said...

What a sweet story! I can hear the pride and love for your son written throughout this post.

You will have to share with all of us his retort to having this picture posted for all the world to see - I am laughing as I imagine it.

Sherry said...

How funny! I just love the high jinxs you two have going on with each other!

Leeland said...

LOL! I've just had a good laugh thanks to you and your Matthew! Thank you, this is priceless!