1.06.2010

Round 2

After our 24" Christmas snowfall we are bracing for round 2
&
baby it's cold out! Over~night temps are supposed to be 35 degrees below zero...brrrrrrrr

We just worked a part day today at Country Stitches, heading home before we got blocked in our driveway by the snowplows that go by. Tomorrow is "ify" as to if we'll make it into work. Eight new inches of snow and blizzard conditions are expected for tonight and tomorrow.

I don't like winter...
never have,
never will...
I just don't like being cold!

Soooo....
I trudge through the winter months trying to find the beauty in this longest Iowa season
& I will admit even though it is cold...
it is pretty.

Big fluffy flakes
falling gently
look like goose down

Icicles...
nature's Popsicles

(largest icicle I've ever seen...must be 15 feet long)


Subtle reminders of warmer days...



Dried floral...
a snowflake's resting place

Snowflakes...
one of nature's most fragile,
but just look what they do when they stick together.

This weather makes me long for warmer days...

so in the mean time

I'll thumb through the seed catalogs that are arriving daily

&

dream

& wait

for my amaryllis to burst into its beauty...

&

just suck it up...

It's Iowa & It's Winter!

Have a good one,
Brenda



9 comments:

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

OMG! I"m a southern girl in Georgia but I'm in North Georgia mountains and we thought it was extra cold here....man, 24 inches of snow and 35 below zero? WOW!
We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow, but no more than 1-3 inches and will melt Friday.
Such is life in the southland. But even Florida I hear is getting below freezing temps at night
I'm with you, I think the older I get the more I dread winters. The days are shorter too. Good stitching weather though.....

Stay warm,
Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

Nancy said...

Your wintry photos are beautiful! Where I am from originally (Pennsylvania and lived in Ohio a bit) we had icicles like that every winter. I haven't seen those for so long, and I had completely forgotten about them.

Stay warm and safe, and spring will be here before you know it!

Linda said...

Enjoying your photos. I lived in Iowa for 40 years before moving to Georgia and while I do not miss driving in the winter weather, I do miss the beauty it can provide. Love your designs and hope to make progress teaching myself punch needle this year.

Linda said...

Enjoying your photos. I lived in Iowa for 40 years before moving to Georgia and while I do not miss driving in the winter weather, I do miss the beauty it can provide. I love your designs and I hope to finish some punch needle projects this year.

Catherine said...

Wow! That's a lot of snow and cold! I love the picture of your amaryllis. Would you share one once they bloom?

Stay warm and safe!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful photos of your snowfall. It does have a beauty all it's own, even if it is cold.

Debbie

alice said...

WOW!!!My MIL was from Iowa. Those pictures were beautiful. I am glad we were never there during snow storms. Stay in and keep on stitching. 'Cause you do beautiful work.
smiles, alice

Sherri said...

I just love your beautiful photos! I hate winter too, which is why I live in the south. But I do miss the beauty of snow.

Patti said...

Hi~ I heard about your blog from my friend and I just love visiting here- it's so inviting. I can't wait to come back and peruse it more! I am a stitcher and have some of your designs. I am anxious to start Miss Snow Flurry. Your charts are fantastic- nice and big and color coded!!! I feel your winter pain as well- I live outside of Chicago. The snow is pretty as long as I don't have to drive in it. I am a teacher who longs to hear the words "Snow Day!" Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm!