11.23.2010

Ann Dickinson

Her name was Ann Dickinson. The year was 1819. Her age, 13 years young.

I recently acquired this sampler from a dealer that resides in the Northwest of England. I don't have much history on the piece, other then it originated from an estate auction in Ireland. The bottom of this sampler has a band of various trees, birds & houses all stitched rather close together... it was this bottom band that drew me to this piece. It then opens up to various motifs spaced slightly further apart with a center motif of verse and signature, in stitches, by Ann.
The words in the center verse have the characteristics of 18Th century handwriting. Upper case letters were used to begin nouns as well as to begin sentences.
The lower case s was written in long s (elongated form), at the beginning of a word, in the middle of a word, and when written twice, as in grass. The elongated s can be mistaken for an f. So the word "grass" as we now recognize it today looks like "Grafs" and "rose" looks like "Roafe", as stitched by Ann.

So it is these days you'll find me with magnifier in hand and on head as I reproduce this sampler into chart form to be stitched once again. Watch for this antique reproduction sampler pattern in 2011 some time.


* * * * * * * * *
Don't forget today is Day 7 of the Home for the Holidays Blog Hop day! Hop on over to Lisa Bongean's blog at Primitive Gatherings. She will be sharing today a yummy molasses cookie recipe and a darling darling pantry jar wrap stitched from wools...perfect for tucking cookies in!

Have a good day,
Brenda

12 comments:

Jeanne said...

Looks like a beautiful piece. Can't wait to see this reproduced.
~Jeanne~

Suzanne said...

I love old samplers! I sometimes sit for hours looking at them from my computer on various sites:) This looks so beautiful. Definitely looking forward to seeing this when you are finished:) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Brenda!
Suzanne G.

Penny said...

I can't wait for you to reproduce this piece. I love old samplers and all the history behind them. It is so very interesting. Happy Thanksgiving Brenda to you and yours. Penny

Diana said...

I look forward to seeing the finished reproduction of this sampler. The bottom band sounds especially interesting.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

As I started to read this posting, I was secretly hoping you planned to reproduce this for us...as always, you never let me down!!!! I look forward to the finished pattern.
Blesssings to you and yours at Thanksgiving.
Busy Hands...Happy Hearts
Patricia

mattgervais said...

money would of been better spent on your son :)

Christie said...

My maiden name was Dickinson. How cool would that be if Ann was an ancestor of mine. Have done a lot of heritage digging, don't recall an Ann. Will have to look on a different branch of the family tree. What a find for you. I would love to see the sampler in person! HUGS... and stitches

taylors*farmhouse*attic said...

I love the colors of this sampler...Looking forward to it being in pattern form!!HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!~~hugs,Jen

Christine M said...

What a beautiful piece of stitching. I can't imagine ever owning something like that that is nearly 200 years old. How wonderful!

Melissa said...

Oh gosh, I'm so looking forward to seeing this sampler next week! I'm so glad you are doing the reproduction!

Happy Thanksgiving, Brenda!
ps my word verification is "amizin" - now that may fortell how the sampler will look!

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful sampler and I know you will do a beautiful job on reproducing it.

Debbie

Patricia Lessell said...

WOW looks wicked (that's good by the way). Can't wait to see it. I love all your designs.