6.16.2010

Cross Stitch Tip...

We all know knotting our thread when doing cross stitch is a huge NO NO. We all know that it can be a tedious task to keep the end of our thread securely tucked under our first few stitches to secure the loose end, right?


Well I thought I'd pass on this little knotting trick. Some of you may already use this method, but for those of you just beginning, I thought you'd like to give this little trick a try. This method only works when you are using 2 strands of floss.

So, here goes....




Pull out approximately 24" of floss from your floss skein and cut. Separate out just 1 strand of floss (yes 1 strand, not 2). We are now ready to begin. Remember you can click on the photos below to enlarge them for better viewing if necessary.






Bring the 2 cut edges of the floss together, having cut edges even.



Thread these two cut ends through your needle. So you have one continuous piece of floss with cut ends going through the eye of the needle, forming 2 strands for stitching.


Let's begin to stitch. Bring your needle up at your beginning location of the cross stitch.


Before pulling thread all of the way through, poke needle down into linen forming half of your cross stitch.


Now flip your linen over to the wrong side...

see the little loop?
Now run your needle through the loop, pulling thread until it is tight up against the linen.


And that is it! Your thread is now secure on the backside of your work without knots or tucking loose ends of floss under stitches.




With thy Needle & Thread,


Brenda

P.S.
I've received a couple emails asking if this knotting method works with the hand dyed threads. I DO, I use this method with hand dyed flosses that have subtle changes in color. The piece I'm currently working on (picture below) is using Weeks Dye Works flosses and with this knotting method. But you want to keep your thread on your needle relatively short in length (12" or so). I still complete each cross stitch before moving onto the next as you would with the regular knotting method.

Here is the effect of hand dyed floss using this knotting method...




11 comments:

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Fabulous tip Brenda and I had never seen that before but I can hardly wait to try it, thanks..
Cheers Tina

Lauralee @ The Eclectic Stitcher said...

My favorite trick!!! Learned it about two years ago (without pictures ~ blah) and was so glad I did ~ cut down on a lot of bulk and messiness on the back. Thanks for putting it out there again with pictures since so many of us are visual learners.

Patty C. said...

Wonderful tip
Thank you:)

Brenda said...

Thanks for the great tip Brenda!

Brenda

connie said...

Great tip..I have used this method for years..

Peggy Lee said...

Love this method, sure could have used pictures years ago when I learned this trick. It seems so complicated when someone is trying to explain it to you.
I use variagated floss quite often though so it's not a good idea then.
Thanks!

Diva Kreszl said...

I have done this when cross stitching...it works perfectly! my problem is when I have to restart somewhere else on the pattern and cut the thread, I often have too much left to waste so I go back to the old way.

JOLENE said...

I was taught this trick from a German lady when I was 13 years old. Wow, it has been 27 years that I have been stitching this way! It is the only way to go, but it doesn't work on the hand dyed threads though.

Deb said...

I've used that method for years and always get a reprimand from people because of doing that - something with the way the thread is wound and by using that loop method I've got one thread going with the twist and one going against it! Well, honestly I don't see a thing and neither do people when they look at it. In my opinion, the less tails the better!!

Anita said...

Thank you so much for this tip, I have cross stitched for years and always struggle trying to keep the back neat and clean looking. I love your blog and all your stitching , I need more time in the day b/c I love to stitch.. I cant wait to try this!
thanks

mpcadams said...

Hi, I learned this tip a few years ago, but wonder if you have a tip for ending or whether running the floss through 3/4 stitches remains the only way