11.16.2011

Turning cartwheels...

about my new find!

I have this small collection of these...
antique linen grain sacks.

I.LOVE.THEM.

Not sure why, but probably because they remind me of the good old days. Days of when I would sneak into the granary to play,
pretend,
and make conversation with myself...
Did any of you talk to yourself when you were young? I think I would get the award for this, seriously! I would lock myself in the bathroom, stand on the stool, fling open the mirror on the medicine cabinet, and talk to myself in the mirror!
Yep, secret is now out of the bag!

The granary that housed the feed mill. This is where Dad turned his harvested corn into meal for the pigs. I loved playing in the corn, running freshly ground corn through my fingers, it had such a nice cool feel to it on a hot summer's day. Then there was the smell thing...loved that smell of corn grinding. This is also where I would find baby mice...tiny pink mice with no fur. Eeeekkk, you're thinking right?

My collection started out with a couple sacks with blue stripes and then I added a couple of gold stripes.
not sure why...
Am thinking it may be a subconscious thing...these were our high school colors.

But back to the cartwheel that I turned.
I was excited, beyond excited about this new find...
a grain sack with my initials stitched upon it!
It's red,
I love red,
but it sort of messed up
the whole gold and blue thing I had going...

Can't wait to used this piece in my Christmas decorating...won't it look wonderful sitting on an old bench as a table-topper with a few sprigs of fresh pine greenery, tucked inside my big ironstone pitcher and a Christmas ditty or two?

And lastly, I must mention...
we have some fabric on order that has the look and feel of these antique linen grain sacks.
and you can even cross stitch on it...
Will keep you posted.
Be patient,
sometimes the wait for fabric can seem like an eternity!

Have a good day,
Brenda

13 comments:

Nancy said...

I can understand why you are turning cartwheels! Beautiful finds!

Anonymous said...

Those are fabulous...and to find one with YOUR initials!!! I can't wait to hear what you do with it for Christmas!!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

i tuoi lavori sono stuepndi complimenti www.croccheta-milleidee.blogspot.com

Lizzie Tish said...

Hmmmm....don't feel bad Brenda, I STILL talk to myself (just not usually in the mirror!)

cucki said...

aww those are so lovely..such a lovely find and great treasure..
ohh..i still talk to myself..everywhere..specially when i am taking a stroll in the garden.. me *blushing*
love for you xx

Anonymous said...

I believe that is what is called "serendipity"!

TheCrankyCrow said...

I love your collection...and what a treasure to find one with your initials. I'm always on the hunt for initials - and if it even comes remotely close to someone in our family tree, I think I've scored....but a grain sack with your real initials - in gorgeous red - that's a true find....Enjoy! Smiles & Hugs ~ Rboin

nancy t said...

please let me know when the grain sack fab comes in yours are great dont have any old ones my self will be ordering some of your x stich patterns next week nancy t @turnernancy32@gmail.com

Sweet Sue said...

Great collection Brenda, luv them! There's a few in a little shop down the road that've been whispering to me. Your eye candy is just what I need to get over there:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda! I am new to your blog and website but I already have 3 of your patterns. Love them! LOve the earthiness and simplicity.
I have a question. What is the Word Play you talk about? Is this something your followers do along with you? If so, I want to join!! LOL Thanks again for your lovely work.
Blessings`

Anonymous said...

Oh, these are such treasures of tactile love! And they're getting harder to find and even more costly when you do find them.

Always a pleasure to visit and see what you're up to.

XO Diane

deb-bee said...

I hope you take a picture to let us see when you get the feed sacks set up for Christmas. You have such homey ideas. ;-)

Kimberly said...

What a great collection! And one with your initials? It was meant to be.
And that whole talking to yourself thing? I completely understand, we {me,myself and I} have conversations all the time and they always tell me exactly what I want to hear.Lol.
Smiles,
Kimberly