8.10.2010

Those silly things called bibs...

Hi everyone, my name is Beckham and I am filling in as a guest blogger today for Grandma Brenda. Today we will be going to Jackson, MN for the 7Th annual threshing bee at my Great Grandpa Lyle's Farm.
Before I begin I must tell you about my crazy momma and grandma...
It was the night before we were going to the bee and it was bath time as usual. I enjoyed a nice bubbly bath, dried off, put on some good smelling lotion and got my diaper on. Then things got a bit crazy...momma and grandma wanted me to try on these silly pants called bib overalls, in just my size. Threshing Bee attire I'm told. Well they were uncomfortable, didn't know about having buckles on my shoulders and well let's just say I was not having anything to do with those silly pants. No one at daycare wears these, I've never seen anyone at the playground or mall in these either. Momma and Grandma kept telling me how cute I was in them, that Great Grandpa would be wearing these, that all the farmers would have bibs on and yadda yadda.... I knew what they were doing. Just give me my cargo shorts & polo shirt with the collar popped!

For those of you who aren't familiar with these threshing bees, let me explain...
Threshing is the process of loosening the edible part of cereal grain (or other crop) from the scaly, inedible chaff that surrounds it. It is the step in grain preparation after harvesting and before winnowing, which separates the loosened chaff from the grain.

A Threshing Bee is a festival held in communities to commemorate this process.

Even the farm animals take in the threshing bee from their pens in the shady grove.


Here I'm explaining to momma that the sheep say baa...
Here I am surrounded by all the women in my life...

Great Grandma Millie, Great Aunt Linda, Second Cousin Abby, Great Aunt Sandra, my Momma, and let me think...that would be third cousin Riley.

All the above mentioned women kept touching my hair...why is that?

Well I guess momma and grandma weren't kidding...
I think I'm just going to pretend that I didn't see these guys. I couldn't help but stare at them in their silly pants...and I even know it's not polite to stare.

They look hot to me, glad I left mine at home.


More sheep & silly pants...

Momma and grandma don't even think about making me wear something like this next year.


Wait a minute, is this Santa?

Look at all these pots & pans. When I was younger I used to play with momma's pots & pans.

Hmmm....a silly way of getting water! And to think I always thought all water came from a spicket on the refrigerator door...








And more silly pants...

Even Banditt was at the threshing bee. Banditt is Great Grandma and Grandpa's neighbors dog who spends lots of time over at their house. They feed him cookies and wieners when he visits them...

I'm thinking that' s why he is lying by their front door every time I see him.

Here is a tractor on stilts. Just kidding. If I remember correctly this tractor was used in Nebraska (where the growing season is longer) to plant rye down in between the rows of growing corn.

Here is third cousin Cody driving Grandpa Lyle's John Deere tractor. Oh, did I mention that I call tractors "cocka's"? I'm having a hard time saying my T's properly. I've even got momma calling them "cocka's"!

Here is 2ND cousin Anthony driving Grandpa Lyles lawnmower that he built from odds & ends that he re purposed into this cute little thingamajig.

Here is Grandpa Dave driving Great Grandpa's Coop tractor. Look at him smile...do you suppose he is having fun? By the size of his dimples, I'm guessing he's having fun. I didn't know Grandpa knew how to drive a big tractor...

&
more silly
pants...

One of my favorite tractors. "Yellwowo" is my favorite color. This tractor is pulling a spreader...I'll let you be the one to guess what they spread with this!


Here I am explaining to dadda that this is a sheep and they say baaaaaaa......

I loved this guy...we have the same hair & he just had an attitude!

And as they say, "All good things must come to an end".
It was that time, time to say our good byes
to everyone.

"Bye sheep"

"Bye Bye Bunny"

"Bye bye Great Grandpa Lyle, it's been fun"

"Bye bye Great Grandma Millie, I love you"

"Bye bye Riley"

"Bye Bye Goat"

And thats all my good byes, no kidding! (sorry, couldn't help myself)
Love,
Beckham






































3 comments:

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Hello magnificent all these images they make me dream! Thank you for this beautiful report
Best regards marylin

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

There is no better combination than children and animals! What a treat to have these wonderful photos to share with them someday!
Tina xo

Julie Wilson said...

Hi Brenda- Thank you for sharing Beckham's pictures. It does warm my heart when I see him with the sheep.We will not be able to show him any lambs despite the years of raising lambs. Looks like everyone had a great time And your parents look wonderful.I keep wondering when dada and Beckham were looking at the sheep if that brought back good or bad memories to Rob? Thanks again for sharing your time with Beckham via pictures. Julie