3.22.2010

Pincushions & Prosperity...


Located on an old cupboard by my front door sets an ironstone dish filled with old ivory buttons, a pair of tiny scissors & two tomato pincushions. I collect anything old that is "sewing related", but the tomato pincushions are my favorite...
they are teeny tiny...
measuring just 1 1/2" across
so petite, yet
nice and heavy to the touch.

In Victorian times, a real tomato was placed in the entree area of homes and it was believed it would bring prosperity. During times when there were no fresh tomatoes, the woman would make red balls of fabric and stuff them with straw or sawdust. They eventually would become by accident, what we know today as the tomato pincushion!

And this is the story
behind
the plate of tomatoes
that sits by my front door...


With thy Needle & Thread,
Brenda

13 comments:

Ahl Cooped Up said...

I love the tomato story. I have a bunch of old buttons. I can't resist any old sewing item either!

Hugs, Pat

Unknown said...

Interesting I did not know that. Now I need to put some tomato's out, I just don't have an entry hall. But I still love the sewing relationship.

Kim said...

I collect tomato pincushions too but did not know that story! Thanks for sharing that! I saw a couple the other day in a shop...older but not OLD old and they wanted $30 for one! Good grief! No! I typically find them at estate sales with all the other sewing stuff! :o) Have a great day!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

I love all things vintagey and sewing related, too! Your little display is gorgeou!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, I hadnt heard that before, thanks for sharing!~~Becky

Sweet Sue said...

Thx for a lovely post Brenda. Simple sewing accessories are stunning when pleasingly photographed, just depends on the view, like yours:) Kudos!

Catherine said...

I never heard of that before! Now I feel the need to find me a tomato and place it in my entry!

Roberta said...

What a great story about the tomato. thank you for sharing it.

Nancy said...

I love tomato pincushions, but I have never heard that story. Now they are even more charming!

I found a wonderful vintage pincushion at a yard sale this weekend about the same size as your tomatoes, but it's pink.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I think if I were your neighbor, I'd be at your house all the time; I love everything you do. Don't worry - I have no idea where you live!

Thanks for the tomato pincushion story. With pincushions all the rage, it's a fun story to tell.

Jane said...

What an interesting story. Those pincushions are so cute!

QUAINT AND PLAIN said...

OH HOW I LOVE A BIT OF STITCHING HISTORY... I SHALL NEVER LOOK AT A TOMATO PIN KEEPE IN QUITE THE SAME WAY... HOW DELIGHTFULLY SWEET A STORY YOU HAVE SHARED... THANK YOU!!! ~ B

Shirley said...

I learned something new today. I have one that was my grandmother's but I had never heard the story. Thank you for sharing.