8.22.2012

Inspiration...

My dear husband,
the son of a watchmaker.
 
His dad's diploma
from watchmakers college...
 and
a pocket watch gifted to the dh
from his father...

family heirlooms
that I walk by several times each day...
momentos
of his father...
A gentle man,
with a keen sense
 of humor.
A man that always gave kids pennies for the gum ball machine.
He had a gum ball machine in his jewelry store.
A dish of pennies sat on the counter
for the kids...
 
 
Being married to the son of a watchmaker,
and being someone who collects
antique samplers,
you can imagine how
these little
 antique pocket watch samplers
 make my heart go a-flutter...
 
I would love to own one,
but they are expensive...
as much as a big sampler.
{sigh}
I love the simplicity of this one..
"Part
 not with
 a
moment
 but for its worth!"
 
It is stitched with hair!

Pocket watch samplers were stitched in the early 19th century.
  A wife would stitch one
 for her dh husband
 to be tucked inside the cover of his pocket watch.

 
You don't see too many of them,
  and they usually go for $500.00 on up.
 The one pictured...it is yours for $895.00.
 
So,
the wheels in my brain have been turning.
I've been
stitching,
planning,
and
 playing
 with pocket watch cases...
they are still in the early stages.
The decision making stages...
Do I make them into a necklace?
Or a brooch?
 
Hang them from vintage satin,
waxed hemp cording,
or rosary beads?
 
"Watch" for more details to follow...
 
 
"Time" to get ready for work,
Brenda

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your pocket watch idea. My father always carried a pocket watch. He was a graphics art printer by vocation and a Baptist minister by the Lords calling. On the back of his pocket watch he had ingraved, "Redeeming the Time". This is a Biblical reference and what he choose for his lifes verse. I don't ever think of a pocket watch without thinking of him. Thanks.

edie said...

Love it, love it, love it. HOWEVER, please don't make it something like the fob and little scissors that goes immediately to those who have some sonar alarm system that alerts them the minute they go up for purchase. I'm certain it's a pain for you, but I wish we could pre-order or something. When you indicate some of those wonderful goodies are soon to be available, I check my computer several times throughout the day, but still miss out. I want one of whatever you do with the pocket watch theme!!

cucki said...

Love it so much xxx

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Such a wonderful post Brenda!
I so love the pocket watch idea.
Will wait patiently.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Tracy said...

LOVE it!!!

Ronnie said...

I love your ideas can't wait to see what you come up with!

Mabel Jane's said...

Neat post...love the pocket watch "trivia".

khoeppner said...

Love it, Brenda:)

Patty ♣ said...

Brenda, I Love the post and the "wonderful idea"...Also what Edie said!!!
Hope you have fun with your idea!

Julie said...

Love the info on the pocket watch samplers ! Looking forward to seeing what you design. Hopefully, it won't take very long:)

MartyG said...

How adorable. I like it exactly hoe you have shown it. The pocket watch necklace idea is great. I really liked the pewtery color of the "watch face".

deb-bee said...

I Love your pocket watch, BOO! I would also like to pre-order one. Pretty please with sugar on top. You have the most wonderful ideas. Thanks also for the info on wives stitching with their husband's hair. I learn thimgs on your blog. Thanks, have a nice weekend. <3 Debby (WI)

deb-bee said...

I Love your pocket watch, BOO! I would also like to pre-order one. Pretty please with sugar on top. You have the most wonderful ideas. Thanks also for the info on wives stitching with their husband's hair. I learn thimgs on your blog. Thanks, have a nice weekend. <3 Debby (WI)

cl said...

How fun that the student's grades are on the diploma! And I wish I had known about stitching with hubby's hair while mind still had lots - There isn't much to spare these days - or maybe back in the day when it was long!!!!! LOL

SewAmy said...

This is adorable.

Zane Wooder said...

I once got a pocket watch as a gift from my grandmother. It was beautiful. More people should wear them they are really a beautiful type of jewelry.

-Zane