7.02.2014

Meet Mary!

Happy to share
Mary Jane Smallman, 1836 
- an antique reproduction - 

Mary Jane Smallman was my January 1, 2014 start. 
 This was my early morning stitch,
 with my morning coffee,
 and it took me about a month to complete.

I really enjoyed stitching this piece, 
it was such a fun stitch!
 The floss selection was so refreshing,
 and
 the border so delicate,
simple & sweet.



Mary Jane was just 7 years old.  
Of the antique samplers
 that grace the walls of my home,
 Mary was the youngest needle-worker,
so this sampler is very dear to me.

The verse that Mary chose to stitch
 was written in a 1790's book called,
 Sermon to Children. 
 The verse was later composed into a children's hymn in 1866.

I chose to reproduce the sampler just as Mary stitch the original,
 leaving the verse run into 
and 
beyond the sweet little lavender chain-style border.  
You wouldn't expect the work of a 7 year old to be perfect,
so I felt it was perfect to leave it as is.



                The antique Mary Jane Smallman, 1836...


Chart coming soon!

Wishing you all a safe & happy holiday weekend, filled with family, friends & fun!
Brenda

1 comment:

AJ said...

Brenda, what an adorable sampler.
I have a beautiful 1845 sampler adorning my walls, how would I go about charting it up?