1.14.2012

I can laugh...

because I'm Beckham's grandmother

Baby Monitors...

something that wasn't available when Beckham's momma and uncle were babies.
Beckham and his momma and daddy moved into a new home this fall and it was decided that perhaps a baby monitor might come in handy in their bigger home.

I was impressed, these are the coolest things since sliced bread.  
Why,
I even mentioned to my adult children
they would still come in handy
  when the kids are in high school
and dating...

okay
sorry,
got side-tracked there...

Back to Beckham...

At nap time or bed time I just love sitting next to the "downstairs monitor" and listen to this little guy...
  
before falling into a slumber,
Beckham sings the abc song
over 
and over
and over...
so sweet,
"next time won't you sing wis meeeeeeeee"
{precious}

After the songs are over
we move onto stories...

stories Beckham tells
in his own words
about 
Thomas, 
Percy
Gordan
 James
and
Cranky, of course!

Beckham turned 3 in November and still wants to sleep in his crib.  
No interest in his big boy bed,
with big boy covers...
  Beckham thinks it's more fun to climb out of the crib,
then take naps these days...

I received a phone call this morning from Beckham's mommy
and
we talked about painting, stenciling, antiquing, the weather, recipes
and Beckham...
  Momma seemed a wee tad frustrated,
as napping
is becoming more and more a thing of the past..
Remember those days?

  Last evening he was tucked into his crib at bed time,
and a few minutes later
momma and daddy could hear him (on the baby monitor)
climb out of  his crib.
He seems to have it now mastered without
falling...
  Momma says to daddy,
"Go get him".
  Daddy says, lets just wait & see what he does.

CLICK.
{The sound of the baby monitor being shut off.}

The one in Beckhams room.
By Beckham.

Yes, momma's telling me the story
and
I'm laughing my fanny off,
 nearly falling of my chair...
momma however,
didn't see the same humor in it...
I can laugh because I'm the grandma,
right?

I'm thinking mommy and daddy just got busted.
Busted for eavesdropping on their 3 year old,
by their 3 year old!

You see,
there is some urgency in getting Beckham 
to liking his big boy bed
and his big boy covers...
Come tax day,
or there abouts
he's going to be a big brother!

The new baby will need that crib in a few months...
the transition to his big boy bed needs to happen,
soon-like.

Beckham's going to have a baby sister
and 
we are bursting with excitement!!!

Grandma's been buying little girl out fits
with matching shoes...

A little pair of denim espadrilles
for a casual,
play with big brother,
type of day...


Little pink leathers
for dress up
type of days...

and
of course,
every little girls closet
must have a pair 
of zebra shoes in it...
right?
.

Have a good weekend,
Brenda

18 comments:

Susan said...

Too funny - kids are sooo much smarter than we give them credit for! Best wishes to the entire family on the new addition. My son has been warned that any daughter he has will be nicknamed "Spoiled Rotten Princess" - so far he has no children 8-)

Penny said...

That is the cutest little story,still laughing out loud! The chldren of today, boy they are so smart. Congratulations on the soon to be new grandaughter, how exciting.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Congratulations, Brenda! How wonderful for you!
Linda C.

cucki said...

aww so sweet,..me still giggling..
congratulations dear.
hugs and love cucki xx

Merilyn said...

Such a cute story!!! What a smart 3 year old! and.....he wants his privacy too huh! Does he know of the expected new member of the family? Maybe he figures if he stays in the crib, there won't be room for his new sister and she won't arrive!!!

denise said...

funny! my grandson didn't want to sleep in his toddler bed either. but when his crib broke he didn't have much choice. now his little sister is getting a bed for her 2nd birthday. hopefully she won't be as bad. aren't babygirls such fun to buy for?

deb-bee said...

When Beckham turned off the "baby monitor", he moved into the "big boy" stage. Congrats on the soon to be granddaughter! Where did you find those zebra shoes? I really want to buy a pair! They are the cutest. ;-) I also love your very old sampler. I could never part with such a family treasure either. bee-hugs, Debby (WI GO PACKERS!)

imnverted said...

Cute story and what a smart kid!

I loved having the monitor when my kids were small. In fact, it was still in use up til my youngest was 6.

Penny said...

So cute!! Love that Beckham knows to turn the monitor off -- kids are so smart! Congrats on a new granddaughter on the way! I am hoping to be a grandma soon..... :) The shoes are too cute -- I've already seen outfits I want to buy and there are no babies on the way just yet.... :)

Lynn said...

OMG that is too funny! I haven't quit smiling over this one yet. I'm very impressed but I'm sure Mom & Dad weren't!
Congrats to everyone on the upcoming addition! You must be so excited. After having had three sons I was so thrilled when I learned we would be having a granddaughter. Now we have two little girls and it's so tempting to buy them everything.
I adore those zebra shoes!

Ellie's Country Accents said...

I'm still laughing. That is the best story I've heard in a while. My GS is 18i months & has started the Two's early. His Dad did some funny things so I'mm waiting......
Congrats on your coming GD. Mine is 5 & I love sewing for her.
Ellie

BARBARA said...

What a delightful story about Beckham....aren't the grands a joy! Congratulations on the news of a little "princess" on the way. In time, she must have an American Girl doll, Bitty Baby. So special for a grandmas to give....

Cathy Lloyd said...

Congratulations Brenda! Grandchildren are treasures!

Pat said...

Congrats to all!!

Delania said...

Too Cute! My daughter is expecting her first child in July - my first Grandbaby - so excited!

Denise said...

That is too funny!! I have 11 grandchildren..9 boys and 2 girls. They are lots of fun congrats on your grandaughter, it is more fun to buy for them :-)

Labbiegirl said...

This is so funny!! Little brains are constantly working and observing.

I sent an email w/your blog address to all my friends who have grandkids/expecting grandkids to read. Also, maybe they will become interested in needlework, too, by looking at your clever designs.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Congrats on the Baby Girl Brenda!!! I have a boy & girl too! I Love them to pieces!!