12.11.2011

Noise over head...

This evening,
upon leaving the house,
the sky over-head was full of crows,
lots of crows,
lots of noisy crows.

My first thought was,
we are going to get do-doed on,
and my second thought was,
don't look up!
Yep,
don't look up
when crows are over head...

Several years ago,
I received a phone call from daughter Erin,
when she was a student at ISU.
She was crying and in distress,
sobbing really...
She had just gotten home
from a student health visit
after looking up,
into the crow-filled trees
on campus
and
bingo bango...
crow poop
right in her eye.

She's crying,
telling Mom what happened,
and Mom is trying her hardest not to laugh...
maybe I did laugh...
(no mother of the year awards for me)

So long story short,
a crow has very acidic do-do
and it causes
the eye to mucus
over rather quickly,
thus the need for medical attention
and eye drops
to prevent infection.

So
whenever I see crows,
as I did this evening,
I think of Erin
and
chuckle
and
then always think...
don't look up!

But I just couldn't help myself,
the amount of crows in the sky
was totally amazing
and
they seemed to be very agitated.
Agitated birds
usually mean there are larger birds of prey
in the area.

Then I spotted it,
a Great Horned Owl!

Wishing so badly
that my night time photography skills
were better,
as it would have been
a very very cool picture.

For those of you who haven't seen one of these guys,
they are big...
they stand about 2 feet tall
and have distinct horns on their head.

(Above is a borrowed photo from Audubon)
Isn't he pretty?
Just look at those eyes...

Yep,
I'm supposing
the fella out in our tree
is using those big eyes,
in search
of,
the Peter Rabbits
that come to feed on
dropped bird seed
in our yard at night.
I know,
poor bunnies...

Have a good week,
Brenda





5 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh yikes - hope you don't hold any grudges or such against us crow types....must have been some of my more ill-mannered kin..... ;o) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robn

Kaisievic said...

Tell your daughter that being "pooped" on by a bird is meant to bring you good luck. Did you know, also, that a group of crows is known as "A murder of Crows".

Hugs, Kaye xoxox
http://kittenstitching.blogspot.com

cucki said...

yup..i am agree with this superstitious that pooped on by a bird is meant to bring you good luck :)
smilesssssssss from me to you xx

Anna said...

Those Great Horned Owls are huge. Back on the farm we would regular lose chickens and our cats! Didn't know they had a taste for crow...then we could say they just at crow! lol

Lonna said...

Reminds me of the time I was shopping in one of the big warehouse stores when I felt this warm glob hit the top of my head. Don't know what kind of bird it was, but I sure didn't feel so lucky at the time. After the initial shock of it, I couldn't quit laughing out loud thinking to myself, "just my luck!" LOL